The Seaforth not only has great Seafood but a great History too. The site on which The Seaforth now stands can be traced back to the original founding of the village. Ullapool was established in 1788 as a fishing village by the British Fisheries Society, and the first reference to this site appears on Mr MacLeod of Geanies plan of Ullapool in 1789 as a store of salt, nets and casks. The building was completed in that year at a cost of £100.
It remained largely as a store for the next 160 years as records show. In 1912 Kenneth Cameron was using it as a store/coalhouse and described as a block, stone and lime building, slated. A smithy was also operating out the back, in a shed of wood and corrugated iron. Attached also, was a salmon-boiling house, where the salmon was prepared before despatching south.
The Seaforth has been through many guises. Our position at the harbour entrance has had major influence in its development and the result of this can also be seen on the harbour and surrounding area. The Seaforth has spent time as a fish and coal store for the steam boats that used to sail from Ullapool, a chandlery supplying the boats and harbour, and a smoke house.
In the 60s and 70s The Seaforth was a pub and inn, and during the 80s the upstairs served as offices for the fish agents dealing with the East European "Klondyke" fishing fleet that anchored in Loch Broom.