The Seaforth celebrates its history with annual Seafood Festival
The Seaforth's annual Seafood festival: 4 May – 6 May 2018
4th - 6th May 2018
The Seaforth will celebrate its great history in seafood with a festival on the 4 to 6 May 2018.
Some of the festival highlights are:
Build your own Seafood platter
Try and taste something new
Enjoy any one of our popular Seafood dishes
Live music during the festival
There's something for wee ones too, we will have face painting, as well as some delicious seafood dishes designed just for them or they can have a go at building their own dish. So why not come along and join in the fun and celebrate our Seafood heritage at The Seaforth.
The Seaforth's History
Did you know that The Seaforth not only has great Seafood but a great history too? The site on which The Seaforth now stands can be traced back to the original founding of the village. Ullapool was established in 1788 as a fishing village by the British Fisheries Society, and the first reference to this site appears on Mr MacLeod of Geanies' plan of Ullapool in 1789 as a store of salt, nets and casks. The building was completed in that year at a cost of £100.
It remained largely as a store for the next 160 years as records show. In 1912 Kenneth Cameron was using it as a store/coalhouse and described as a block, stone and lime building, slated. A smithy was also operating out the back, in a shed of wood and corrugated iron. Attached also, was a salmon-boiling house, where the salmon was prepared before despatching south.
The Seaforth has been through a number of guises. Our position at the harbour entrance has had a major influence in its development and the result of this can also be seen on the harbour and surrounding area. We have spent time as a fish and coal store for the steamboats that used to sail from Ullapool, a chandlery supplying the boats and harbour, and a smokehouse.
In the 60s and 70s we were a pub and inn, and during the 80s the upstairs served as offices for the fish agents dealing with the East European "Klondyke" fishing fleet that anchored in Loch Broom.